Today I’m revisiting a tutorial from September 2010. It was featured a while back so it continues to be the #1 viewed tutorial on the blog. This clutch/wristlet is the perfect size for a quick trip to the store or a night out to dinner. You can fit your phone, lipstick & money inside with a little room to spare. Let’s get started!
You will need:
- 7″ zipper
- 8×6 back panel (fabric A)
- 8×3 top panel (fabric A)
- 14×4 ruffle (fabric B)
- 8×6 – 2 lining (fabric B)
- 3×12 handle (fabric A)
- Fold fabric in half long-wise. Press. Open and fold in each long edge, press again. Close the handle and sew a seam close to the edge.
- Fold it in half, making a loop. Sew a seam 1/4” from the edge.
- Sew a long straight stitch by hand very close to the edge.
- Gather until it is 8” in width. Pin it carefully, right sides together, with the 8×3” piece of fabric
- Sew a 1/2” seam.
- Remove gathering stitch and press open. Press down the pleats making it back into a rectangle.
To assemble the bag:
- Layer right side of fabric up (with ruffle), zipper teeth down and lining right side down. Stitch with your zipper foot close to the zipper. Repeat with second side.
- Open it up and press.
- Disregard this picture, it’s an unnecessary step.
- Sew a top stitch on either side of the zipper. Open the zipper until it’s about an inch from the edge.
- Put the outer fabric right sides together, insert the handle between the pieces close to the zipper and stitch a 1/2” seam along all four edges, leaving about a 4″ opening on the bottom edge of the lining..
- Clip all 4 corners, being careful not to clip the seams.
- Turn right side out. Sew the hole closed on the bottom of the lining.
- Press the lining into the bag, zip and DONE!