I’ve raided Grandma Blanche’s recipe box again for a sweet treat! Last time it was the pumpkin cake with caramel frosting, this time it’s Graham Cracker Apple Cake! This cake was super easy to make, smelled delicious and we really enjoyed it. Let’s get started!
(I’ve typed out the ingredients & instructions below in case you can’t read Grandma’s handwriting)
48 individual bite size graham crackers (12 sleeves), finely crushed
2 eggs, separated
2 1/2t baking powder
2c chopped apples
1. cream shortening and sugar
2. add egg yolks & vanilla, beat well
3. combine graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt – add to creamed mixture with milk
4. beat egg whites, fold into mixture
5. spread 1/2 of mixture into a greased 8in cake pan. cover with 1c apples. spread the rest of the graham cracker mix on top of apples. top with the rest of apples.
6. pour 2T of melted butter, 1T sugar & 1/4t cinnamon over the top of the apples
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes
Enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee (or a scoop of vanilla ice cream!).